Please Join Us for International Babywearing Week (IBW)
October 2-9 2017
International Babywearing Week (IBW) is a week-long opportunity to celebrate, promote, advocate for, and focus media attention on the many benefits of babywearing sponsored by Babywearing International. Babywearing International of Rockland-Westchester will be hosting a number of fun events and activities in honor of International Babywearing Week! For more information on these events please see the Babywearing International of Rockland- Westchester Facebook Page and choose the “events” tab. Please feel feee to RSVP to events here! However, an RSVP is not required to attend! Also, there will be interviews of the events’ hosts posted in the Babywearing International of Rockland- Westchester Facebook Group. Please bring your friends, family, little ones, and even your furry friends and join us!
Monday October 2:
- Babywearing Bears at the Bear Mountain Zoo at 9:30AM hosted by Rachel Patterson: Come have a blast exploring the local zoo at Bear Mountain.This is toddler friendly, babywearing friendly, and stroller friendly event. The children will love seeing all of the local critters while being able to wear their favorite stuffed friend! If you would like, bring a picnic lunch for after and a doll carrier for toddlers. Extra doll carriers will be available. There may be a fee to park; if so, that will be $10. No pets are allowed.
Tuesday October 3:
- Walkway Over The Hudson at 10AM hosted by Mich Conway: Meet at the Poughkeepsie end of the Walkway and stroll over the world’s longest elevated pedestrian bridge. It’s a paved road so feel free to bring your stroller too. If anyone wants to start walking from the Highland end and meet us in the middle that would be pretty cool! If you are interested in extending your visit, the walkway is right by the Poughkeepsie train station so you can take the train up, and the children’s museum is directly below the elevator entrance. There are also a few places to have lunch along the waterfront. This is a free event. Dogs are allowed.
- Coffee and carriers at First Village Coffee in Ossining at 5-7pm hosted by Amy Lamm Haskell scheduled especially for working parents. Bring your carriers and questions or just join us for a delicious cup of coffee and some conversation with fellow parents. Babies and toddlers are welcome but not required.
Wednesday October 4:
- Waddle and Swaddle Beacon Meeting at 10AM
- Madame Brett Park Hike at Noon hosted by Haley Cloughessy of Half Pint Hikes: Join us after the monthly meeting at Waddle-N-Swaddle for a hike. This will be a short, family friendly hike on gravel and a boardwalk next to an abandoned site with views of a river and waterfall. Dress for the weather and bring some water, your carrier or stroller if needed, and a picnic lunch if you want to stay and hang out after. This is a free event. Dogs are allowed.
- Rockland Lake Park Meet up at 11AM hosted by Amanda Huerta and Corey Maas. We will meet at the playground for some fun. Bring a picnic lunch or just enjoy the park. You can always walk around the lake if your feeling up to it but bring comfortable shoes! It does not cost anything. Parking is free during the week, at this time. Unfortunately no dogs are allowed. This is a free event.
Thursday October 5:
- Teatown Lake Reservation Hike at 9:30AM hosted by Haley Cloughessy of Half Pint Hikes. This will be a family friendly hike and exploration of the nature center after. The hike is almost 2 miles but fairly flat. Carriers are recommended for little walkers just in case its too long but there is plenty to see to keep them interested. This is a free event! Leashed dogs allowed.
Friday October 6:
- Trunk or Treat at 10AM hosted by Catherine Marousek: There will be trick or treating, a best trunk contest and a best babywearing costume contest! If you plan to have a trunk you need to bring enough candy for about 30 trick or treaters if you just want to trick or treat bring your self with your costumes and if you want to donate candy that is always appreciated as well! Feel free to bring anyone friends/family/baby/kids/animals if they are leashed! The event is free!
**Please register here
Saturday October 7:
- Paint Night at Create Community at 6PM hosted by Jena Love: Participants will create their very own Babywearing inspired painting in a paint and sip style workshop! No artistic talent needed. Hosted by a high school art teacher so you will leave with something you feel great about! Come have fun and relax while you paint with friends! Paint night cost is $25
Please fill out the google form to reserve your spot! Open to the first 20 people.
Friends are welcome to attend but they also will need to pre-register for the event. Infants in carriers are also welcome.
Sunday October 8:
- Apple Picking at Wilkens Fruit Farm at 10AM hosted by Lauren Gim: Enjoy the cool, crisp air of fall as you pick apples and pumpkins! This event is friendly for little ones and big ones of all ages! Parking at Wilkin’s Fruit & Fir Farm is free! You only pay for the items you pick…apples and pumpkins! There is a corn maze at the farm that may charge a fee. There are 3 shops on site to purchase baked goods, candy and snacks, as well as some lunch goods. Don’t forget to wear appropriate attire for the weather and lots of walking. Unfortunately they do not allow outside food to picnic, but encourage the use of FDR park which is a 1/4 mile away from their farm. Due to health regulations pets must stay home.
Photo shoot appointments are also available throughout the week with Kaz Sheekey Photography, Baglio Photo Studios, Steven Marrero Photography, and Katie Lauren Photography. Book your appointment here
In addition, there will be ongoing online events running on the International Babywearing of Rockland-Westchester Facebook Group!
Babywearing Scavanger Hunt
Babywearing Alphabet Game
A variety of prizes and gifts have been donated in support of this event. BWI RockWest sends a big THANK YOU to the following companies for their generosity!
- Suck pads donated by MichMonster
- A custom shirt donated by MAC Custom Creations
- Breastmilk or umbilical cord/placenta bead keepsake donated by The Redhead Placenta Lady
- Essential oil and class donated by Grateful Mommas
- Custom babywearing portrait donated by Jena Love
- A Moby D wrap donated by Danielle Bianco
- $20 or 1/2 off at her dot dot smile online shop donated by Dot Dot Smile Girls Dresses
- $25 Lularoe Nicole Thoma gift card donated by Nicole Thoma Lularoe
- Free family membership + 4 weeks of classes donated by My Gym Yorktown
- $50 gift certificate for Celtic Aer gift shop donated by Celtic Aer
- $25 gift certificate for Mama Keepsake Jewelry donated by Mama Keepsake Jewelry
- Reiki infused crystal jewelry donated by Morgan Salvatori
- Online Defensive Driving Course donated by Defensive Drivers Discount
- Hair cut by Robin at Arielle in Brewster
- Paint Night location donated by CREATE Community
- Photo shoot donated by Kaz Sheekey Photography
- Photo shoot donated by Baglio Photo Studios
- Photo shoot donated by Katie Lauren Photography
- Photo Shoot donated by Steven Marrero Photography
- Frog umbrella from BWI Rock West
- Free second carrier checkout from BWI RockWest